Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Something from something else

I just changed the photos on my Facebook page. The little profile picture is the subject of today's blog. After a recent visit to the historic canals in Lowell, MA and the mills that have long stood beside the waterways, I made an oil painting of a scene there that caught my eye.

Later, after taking a casual photo of that painting and trying to figure out what I liked and didn't like about the way it turned out, I cropped out this small section from the lower right-hand corner of the painting (using Photoshop). If it were on canvas and not a cradled wood panel, I'd probably get out the scissors and toss all but this little piece.

What I WILL do, is use this as as a starting point for a completely new painting. Ahhh, the never-ending journey of an artist!

The corner:

The whole painting (unfinished here):



No comments:

Post a Comment